Nedra Playford, the Director and occupational therapist, has extensive experience in the following areas: Assistive Technology (e.g Wheelchairs, scooters, adjustable beds, lifters, recliners); Functional Assessment; Manual Handling assessment and protocols and Sensory Processing assessment. Sunrise OT provides services to people who are NDIS self-managed, plan-managed or who are paying privately. Registered with Medicare.
Michele Elmitt offers hands on physiotherapy, hydrotherapy and advice on facilitation and handling strategies for children, adults with disabilities and older people. She specialises in the facilitation of the neurological, musculoskeletal and sensory motor systems.
Please visit the website or contact Michelle Elmitt on 0408 554 842 and michelle.elmitt [at] gmail.com for more information.
Neurospace offer individual assessment and treatment plans with an Accredited Exercise Physiologist for the implementation of therapeutic exercise to minimise the impact of chronic health conditions. Neurospace exercise physiologists can assist with the following health conditions:
- Stroke, traumatic or acquired brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Cerebral Palsy
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Motor Neuron disease and other neurological conditions
- Chronic pain (e.g. Fibromyalgia ad lower back pain)
- Scoliosis and endangered posture
- Joint replacement and reconstruction
- Falls, poor balance or unsteadiness
- Stiffness, muscular weakness, frailty
Please visit the website or contact Neurospace on (02) 6162 0450 and info [at] neurospace.com.au for more information.
Neurospace offer carer training services to make care-giving easier such as home and equipment modification to improve carer movements and safety and assistance with building support networks. Their carer training sessions cover:
- Manual handling
- Exercises to keep fit as a carer
- Falls prevention
Please visit the website or contact Neurospace or contact Neurospace on (02) 6162 0450 and info [at] neurospace.com.au for more information.
Canberra City Health Network provide a comprehensive range of services including:
- Bone Health and Falls Prevention
- Corporate services
- Dry needling
- Ergonomics in childcare
- Exercise physiology
- Health Assessments
- Kinesio tape
- Lymphatic drainage
- Pilates/Functional Fit
- Real Time Ultrasound
- Remedial massage therapy
- Sports services
Please visit the website or contact Canberra City Health Network on (02) 6247 0733 and enquire [at] canberrahealthnetwork.com.au for more information.
Belconnen Community Service (BCS) provide in-home and social support, before and after school care, school holiday programs, youth services and housing support. They have specialist services and programs for:
- Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander people
- Young Children (0 - 5)
- Over 65s
- Parents and families
- People living with disability
- People living with mental illness
- School age children (5 - 12)
- Youth (12 - 25)
Please visit the website or contact BCS (02) 6264 0200 and bcs [at] bcsact.com.au for more information.
Functional Fitness run a regular weekly ‘Functional Seniors’ program designed to build strength, balance and confidence in older people.
Please visit the website or contact Functional Fitness on 0488 288 252 and memberships [at] funcfitness.com.au for more information.
Active Recovery offer a range of rehabilitation interventions based on best evidence and aimed at education and empowerment of individuals.
Their treatment services include:
- Functional rehabilitation providing education on managing injuries and persistent pain
- Hydrotherapy including one-on-one fully supervised sessions, classes with, carers training, training courses for organisations
- Chronic Disease Management which may include, supervised individual rehabilitation sessions, hydrotherapy, group activity sessions, prescription of a home exercise or activity program, prescription of an exercise program to undertake at a gym and referral to community programs
- Neurological physiotherapy for multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury, Parkinson’s disease, Motor neuron disease, muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy, stroke, acquired brain injury, aged care assessments, falls/mobility, complex cases (balance problems, joint replacements, arthritis, impaired vision and diabetes)
- Pain management education and support
- Pre-employment screening (PES) & Manual Handling
Please visit the website or contact Active Recovery on (02) 6162 1229 and info [at] activerecovery.net.au for more information.
Flames Fitness offer an ‘Over 50’s’ program designed for older people to maintain and achieve specific health and fitness goals. The program focuses on weight bearing and cardiovascular exercise.
Please visit the website or contact Flames Fitness on (02) 6257 1483 and q [at] flamesfitness.com.au for more information.
Align & Balance offer health and fitness services to Canberra and the surrounding region. They specialise in training for people over the age of 40 with an emphasis on corrective functional exercise, postural alignment and creating flexible bodies.
Their classes include:
- Nordic walking
- Strengthening 50+
- Stretch classes
Please visit the website or contact Align & Balance on 0415 524 953 and nicky [at] alignbalance.com.au for more information.